Can felons apply for clemency to lead an honest life? – Yes, by applying for clemency the felons get hope, as they deserve forgiveness. Talking about the felons, they do face many challenges after releasing from prison. Further, they cannot carry their felony record everywhere as they get rejection everywhere.
What Do You Mean by Clemency?
Clemency is another word for asking for mercy by the felons. It is known as the legal forgiveness that felons or ex-offenders can opt for. It reduces their sentence or else postpones it.
Felons apply for clemency to lead an honest life, and here we consider some factors about it.
- By applying for clemency, the felons can reduce their penalty for a particular crime. However, it does not give any clearance to the felony record.
- Felons who seek getting forgiveness can apply for clemency; even they have severe criminal punishments.
- Felons responsible for the debt to society can also apply for clemency.
- A clemency may or may not be pardoned; however, pardon is treated as clemency. Further, a pardon is unable to erase the felony conviction from an individual’s record. Meanwhile, clemency can make it happen.
- During the felon’s service term in prison, appealing for clemency can remove basic restrictions on the individuals. Thereafter, the felons are able to cast a vote, join a public office for work, as well as own firearms too.
- There is no change to the felony record, and it is revealed whenever a background check is performed.
Apply for Clemency – Know the Types
When felons appeal or apply for clemency, they should know about the types. One is federal clemency, and the other one is state clemency. The felon individuals can apply for any of them based on the kind of offense – federal or state.
Federal and state clemency is different from each other, and the felons need to apply for it accordingly. They can seek the help of the federal government in order to apply for the same. However, for applying to a federal pardon, the felons should complete 5 years of their sentence. Meanwhile, for the state clemency, the waiting period depends on each state.
Can Felons Apply for Clemency? – The Application Process
Talking about clemency and how felons can appeal for it, here we look at the application process.
- In order to apply for clemency, the felons have to state a specific reason. Further, they are also required to provide evidence as a part of justification. For this purpose, the felons will have to submit documents with appropriate letters from the authorities.
- Applying for clemency also requires the felons to have a clean record after their initial conviction. For this purpose, a personal background check is done which is mandatory. Here, the nature of the criminal record will determine whether the felon individual gets clemency or not.
- After the felons have applied for clemency, if they involve in community service, it shows a positive sign. Further, it certifies good character for them if they can share letters of recommendation from three different people.
- The next step is the review process where original jurisdiction is considered. It is where the felons first received the conviction.
- Thereafter, the application of clemency is submitted with the President of State Governor along with recommendation letters. The government officers then consider the requests before making a final decision.
- The felons are also told to share information – details of tax, financial obligation, details about civil lawsuits, violations, arrests, traffic offenses, etc.
- For the clemency application to process correctly, the felons should take a piece of legal advice from the attorney
Can Felons Apply for Clemency to Lead An Honest Life? – The Benefits
The main benefit of getting clemency is that it motivates felons. They are able to adopt rehabilitation programs and lead honest life. It will not erase the conviction from a felony record of the individual; however, it helps in removing penalties. Talking about the pardon, it gives the felons a life-changing step for the future.
Furthermore, clemency helps in opening job opportunities for felons. Felons apply for clemency to lead an honest life and it does make a difference. They also gain self-confidence as they achieve success and respect at work. In addition to this, they also regain civil rights.
There you are. Felons apply for clemency to lead an honest life and face the challenges in an easier way. They can also seek guidance from their family members to again become a part of society.