Website https://twitter.com/fbnfarmers Farmer's Business Network, Inc.
How can we sustainably feed the world? With the population set to reach nine billion by 2050 and available farmland decreasing, the odds are stacked against us. This problem falls squarely on the shoulders of farmers, who are increasingly working harder for less. FBN helps farmers to solve these problems.
Farmers are often forced to make key decisions in the face of significant uncertainty about their impact. FBN applies technology and data science to this challenge. We’re building the world’s largest agronomic dataset – made up of billions of data points, gathered from sophisticated sensors on farm equipment. The network effect of farmers sharing their data allows us to deliver unprecedented analyses that help farmers make data-driven decisions – we’re not just building new technology, we’re also making new agricultural scientific discoveries.
We’re looking for data scientists who are enthusiastic about applying big data to help farmers!
Data science underlies every product that we build at FBN, so you’ll see your work directly translate into new products for our farmers. The data science team at FBN:
- Explores one of the world’s most unique, interesting, and diverse datasets
- Furthers scientific understanding about what affects agricultural production
- Uncovers insights that help farmers efficiently support a growing population
- Makes meaningful improvements in the world by translating data science into products that help farmers increase yield and efficiency
- 5+ years working with pricing, macroeconomic, ecommerce and/or supply chain data to drive key business outcomes
- Deep understanding of statistical modeling concepts
- Familiarity with machine learning algorithms
- Experience with time series analysis and demand forecasting / demand planning
- Excellent programming skills (R or Python preferred)
- Familiarity with cloud computing and version control
- Preferred: Experience with geospatial data science tools (e.g., Google Earth Engine; Python: gdal, shapely, rasterio, geopandas; R: raster, rgdal, sf)
- Preferred: understanding of agricultural systems (soil chemistry, plant physiology, entomology, etc…)
- MS or greater in statistics or related discipline
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.