Website https://twitter.com/fbnfarmers Farmer's Business Network, Inc.
Reporting to the Station Manager, the Research Assistant, Corn is responsible to execute field operations (from planting to harvesting) in plot trials located at multiple research sites. This is a multifaceted role which requires a combination of labor and reporting ensuring that field trials are completed to a high standard and capture the necessary data for the Seed Team. Where required, this position is also accountable to troubleshoot and perform repairs to field equipment
- Operate small plot equipment (tractor, planter, combine) executing all stages of field work (which may include), planting, spraying, rototilling and harvesting crops
- Load and haul small plot equipment following safe guidelines
- Frequent travel to plot locations throughout assigned area to ensure plots conform to required trial parameters and specifications
- Apply appropriate crop protection products according to manufacturer’s specifications ensuring that proper safety and personal protective equipment (PPE) is used
- Utilize GPS technology in trials, including block layouts and automatic tripping mechanisms
- Assist in all aspects of trial operations including site selection, flagging, site layout, seed treating and packaging, seed preparation and layout, all field operations, data collection, and quality analysis
- Comply with stewardship protocols and assist with site maintenance, required operations and all necessary documentation
- Regularly visit and inspect remote sites throughout the growing season to ensure trials adhere to required specifications and standards
- Assist in any aspect of trial preparation, including arranging trials, stickering, seed counting
- Accurately inspect, measure and record attributes both in qualitative and quantitative measures
- Troubleshoot equipment issues in the field
- Regularly inspect and review equipment to ensure that it meets maintenance and lease specifications
- Provide input into Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for trialing and seed operations
- Address with landowners current and future issues affecting plot management, escalating any concerns to manager and Seed Team
- Assist with (and if required training) corn pollination and detasseling crew
- Contribute to the upkeep and maintenance of site locations in the “off-season” through snow removal and minor repairs to buildings and equipment
- Attend research meetings and provide constructive feedback to the Seed Production Team
- Other duties as required/assigned
Formal Education or Equivalent
- Associate degree in Agriculture with 5 years of experience or Bachelor Degree in Agriculture.
- Possess, or is in the process of obtaining a Pesticide Applicators license
- Preferred interest in obtaining a Class A Commercial Valid driver’s license
Years of Experience
- Previous experience working with small plot field trials an asset, but not necessary
- Farm background an asset
- Passionate about agriculture, farming and desire to put Farmers First®
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Highly independent, goal-oriented and solution driven
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills with general utility software (spreadsheets, word processing)
- Ability to work well within time constraints, able to effectively prioritize in a high demand environment within multiple locations
- Must be able to travel within assigned area and possible occasional travel outside of territory
- Ability to work extended hours during planting and harvesting
Ability to travel ~20-30% of the time
The following represents FBN’s reasonable estimate of the US national average base salary range of possible compensation for this role based on market data and placement of internal employees: $55,000 – $68,000.
This salary range may vary based on geography and variations in cost of labor. Beyond the above or adjusted to market salary range, FBN also offers all full-time employees competitive equity compensation, health and wellness benefits, and various perks.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.