Website https://twitter.com/fbnfarmers Farmer's Business Network, Inc.
The Senior Corporate Counsel, Labor & Employment, leads the labor and employment function for the company’s legal department in the U.S. and coordinates support for all foreign operations. Reports to the CLO. Partners closely with all legal team members and with Human Resources, including its benefits and recruiting functions, as well as senior and executive-level leaders throughout the organization. Provides timely, thoughtful, and practical advice and counseling regarding labor and employment issues, as well as acquisition due diligence; identification of issues related to post-M&A employee integration; pro-active involvement in and mitigation of potential employment practice issues (including support of training functions); including, but not limited to, disability accommodation; hiring and discharge; wage and hour; performance management; employee privacy; non-competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements. Supports internal investigations and handles administrative charges. Coordinates outside counsel regarding employment matters.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Provides legal counsel and guidance in all labor and employment areas of the company’s business; performs the necessary research and investigation in developing opinions for the business units to consider
- Under the supervision of the AGC-Litigation, assists with defense of administrative charges (EEOC, Human Rights Commission); negotiates directly with opposing counsel regarding employee disputes where applicable; coordinates litigation holds and pre-litigation matters
- Under the supervision of the AGC-Litigation, manages outside counsel employment lawsuits and employment contract disputes brought by and against the company in the U.S. and Canada; attends mediations on behalf of the Company
- Drafts, revises and reviews employment agreements, as well as non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, of current and/or prospective employees.
- Creates all independent contractor arrangements to ensure legal and regulatory compliance ● Reviews all employment terminations in advance to mitigate risk; supports HR and the business units when considering any reductions in force. (e.g., WARN, OWBPA, etc)
- Reviews recruiting and hiring decisions (e.g., failed background tests, drug screens, employment tests) and advises management on the recommended decisions
- Assists in drafting new HR policies or revising/reviewing existing ones to ensure that the company is compliant with respect to our employment practices on a Federal/State/Local basis ● Organizes and manages corporate employment activities by timely initiating appropriate legal action when faced with employee disputes and challenges.
- Supports the HR Team in reviewing the company’s Ethics Hotline; and helping procure, develop and deliver required HR and legal training on a variety of topics, including compliance training related to the Company’s Code of Conduct
- Conducts preliminary review of due diligence documents for mergers and acquisitions of the company
- Supports the integration of newly acquired businesses post-closing
- Assists outside immigration attorneys with questions related to expatriate/inpat visas, taxation, relocation, etc.
- Reviews pertinent new employment case law and newly enacted Federal and State statutes and regulations to ensure the company complies with all applicable laws.
- Provides legal briefings/updates to HR Department staff and business managers on these new laws and regulations
- Juris Doctorate degree and admitted to practice law in California or Illinois
- 7+ years of labor and employment law experience, including a combination of law firm and in-house; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3+ years in a leadership role (direct or indirect), with potential to manage
- Periodic travel, locally, nationally, and/or internationally as required from time-to-time ● Strategic and creative thinker, oriented toward practical solutions
- Strong analytical skills, with a focus on prioritizing; committed to developing interpersonal relationships with leaders throughout the organization; passionate problem-solver; confident presentation skills; capable of project management (from conception to completion), and planning skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (including analysis, interpretation, reasoning, and a high level of well-measured advocacy)
- Solid understanding and application of basic mathematical concepts, related to business finance ● California employment law knowledge
- Knowledge of (or interest/desire to learn) international employment law, particularly Canada, Australia, and Latin America
- ERISA benefits background helpful.
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with peers and colleagues across the organization, as well as internal and external clients
- Ability to work well autonomously and within a team in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment
- Ability to work with and influence peers and senior management
- Self-motivated with critical attention to detail, deadlines and reporting
Location, Compensation & Benefits
Preferred location is Bay Area, California. Remote is possible depending upon credentials. “Remote” employees do not have a permanent corporate office workplace and, instead, work from a physical location of their choice which must be identified to and agreed by the Company.
We offer a competitive compensation plan and an attractive benefits package that includes health, vision, and dental insurance.
The following represents FBN’s reasonable estimate of the US national average base salary range of possible compensation for this role based on market data and placement of internal employees: $210,000 – $245,000.
This salary range may vary based on geography and variations in cost of labor. Beyond the above or adjusted to market salary range, FBN also offers all full-time employees competitive equity compensation, health and wellness benefits, and various perks.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.